How to Help
Become a Volunteer
- You can become a Dog Walker -We ask that dog walkers commit to a weekly schedule of at least one day a week for two hours to come to our shelter to walk and play with our dogs providing much needed exercise and socialization.
- You can become a Bobbi Buddy. – The Buddy Program is for people who enjoy the company of a dog but cannot foster or adopt due to time or housing restraints. Volunteers for this program are partnered with a dog living in our shelter that needs one on one attention and socialization. You will take your dog to local parks, beaches, training sessions, etc. This will provide the animal a break from the shelter environment to alleviate stress and provide much needed exercise and mental stimulation.
- You can be a Cage Cleaner – We need cage cleaners at our Atlas Mall location. We ask that you please commit to a weekly schedule of at least one day a week for two hours.
- You can help at an Adoption Event – We need volunteers to handle dogs at our events. Training will be provided. Adoption Events occur roughly once per month. If you can commit to attending each adoption event – that would be greatly appreciated.
- You can become a Humane Educator – Education is the key to generating awareness in the community about the prevention of animal abuse and neglect as well as spay/neuter programs and their important effect on the dog and cat overpopulation crisis in New York City. We will train volunteers to visit local schools and speak with children, parents, and teachers on why being kind to animals is important and how they can help. Volunteers for this program must be available during school hours. (8am -3pm, Monday through Friday)
- You can be an Animal or Supply Transporter We need volunteers with cars to transport animals to the vet, groomers, adoption events, etc. We also need volunteers to transport supplies, food, and items that people may donate to us.
- You can help with General Administration We are always in need for volunteers to answer phones, greet visitors, stuff envelopes, write letters, database creation and entry, mass mailings, typing, filing, etc.
- You can help with Special Projects – We need volunteers to help with events, create and dispense flyers, collect donations, sell tickets, help at garage and tag sales, and other projects that come up throughout the year.
- You can Foster a homeless dog or cat. More info …
- You can sponsor an Adoption or Fundraising Event. More info …
- You can donate your professional or Business Services More info …
- You can help at a Fundraising Event – or even organize one on behalf of Bobbi and the Strays. We always need volunteers to help plan, organize, generate buzz, set-up, and carry-out fundraising events.
- Socialize the cats – Read to the cats in our Book Nook program. More Info…